Practice Swing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tathata Staff Tathata Staff 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Practice Swing
    Al
    Al

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but my question is about the practice swing as it pertains to stopping time. I take a practice swing and always have. One of the benefits I find is that it lets me know where my club is bottoming out before impact. As we discuss spontaneous action and not thinking over your shot (no mind) I’m having a hard time figuring out how that can be done if your taking a practice swing. Are practice swings recommended in Tathata?

Hi Al,

Great question. Practice swings or no practice swings, both are fine as long as you are able to step to each shot with an expectation of something new. Almost an openness to the moments ahead being better than they’ve ever been before. Practice swings can stop time when they are used as a place of bringing the past forward or thinking of mechanics. We want the practice swing (or no practice swing) to be a part of a flow of energy out in front to where we are going, that is spontaneous and reactionary as you mentioned.

Practice swing is always perfect but when it comes to hitting the ball, the practiced perfect swing is gone, does it relate stopping time ? Also when I try to pressurize and swing hard I tend to hit too deep with too much of divot, wonder what causes this ?

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the question. Practice swings can be beneficial to get a sense or feel of the shot you want to hit. They are useful for moving the body or prepping the movement that you are going to create. However when you take a practice swing and then try to repeat the practice swing when you step up to the ball this is what we call stopping time.

Anytime you are trying to repeat the past you lose an sense of openness to something new out in front. Use the practice swing as a movement of energy to the shot you’re about to hit rather than a movement that you hope to repeat.

When you step up to the ball say the words to yourself that “this shot may be better than its ever been.” Practice saying these words to yourself as you walk into the ball and see if this creates new outcomes while you are playing. Practicing these words as you walk into golf shots ultimately will be more important than any “practice swing” you could ever make!

Thank you for all of the training and effort you are putting into your game!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.