Flat swing and wrist extension at top of swing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tathata Staff Tathata Staff 8 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Flat swing and wrist extension at top of swing

I’ve been working with an instructor over the winter months and he has commented on how my quickly my swing has been improving.

So far, I’ve been able to translate a lot of the feedback that he has made directly into areas from the Tathata training to work on and I’ve felt that the lessons have complemented the Tathata training.

After my lesson tonight I’m feeling a bit stuck. My instructor said that my swing was a little too flat around my body and that my wrist has too much extension (opposite of Dustin Johnson) at the top of my backswing.

What can I review to help in this area?

Jason,

Thank you for your questions and sharing your success with your instructor and Tathata training. Interesting the connection you have made between the lesson content and being able to work these into your training. I am assuming your instructor is wanting your wrist to be in a more of an arched position like Dustin Johnson at the top of your backswing.

One thing we are learning that helps the student get in a strong front wrist position at the top of their backswing are some basic checkpoints. You can see this by checking the angle of the top of the front arm forearm and the top of the hand of the front angle. You will notice as you perform hand and arm movement 2 – loading the hands and arms that as the wrists load, the top of the front wrist is neither excessively arched or excessively bent. This is true for both hands/wrists. You will notice that as the hands load here, the angle between the top of the hand and the top of the forearm stays very similar to where it was at setup.

Play with this. Can you feel the top of the front wrist excessively arched? Can you feel it excessively bent? As you train to the top of your backswing and the club reaches parallel with the ground and parallel with your target line, has this angle been maintained as the hands and arms have loaded? This alignment helps to ensure that your hands and arms are loaded with absolute strength and leverage. While training through the rest of the hand and arm movements, this is an alignment that can help you check to make sure your hands and wrists are in proper relationships throughout your swing.

Thanks Jason, let us know if you would like further clarity or if this helps answer your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.