Movement #2 & #3 Combined

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by David David 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Movement #2 & #3 Combined

I am having difficulty with Chest up at same time as gluts back. Will my breathe inhalation with Chest-up help, but pushing gluts down seems impossible. I realize this is crucial and I want to get this!

David – I, too, struggled with this but think I’m approaching something close to correct movement. My focus has been to start with a slightly rounded position and then move toward straight, which is done by lifting the ribs while pushing back into my glutes. It really helped me to start with rounded shoulders, just like the greatest players. Hope this helps!

Hi David and David, thank you for the question and the response from both of you. The question has been shared with Bryan Hepler, the founder, and he has responded to you within the video shared below.

Click on the link below to view this response from Bryan:

Student Q & A: Building Support & Power in the Backswing

Enjoy!

Thank You. The video definitely cleared that up. The squeezing up and in especially.

Fortunately I already have good posture. But I was discouraged to find I couldn’t ‘get’ the first two moves after that. I’m so glad I came to the forum and found my question. Maybe it’s not so complicated after all. Thank you for asking, David.
    Susie

Hang in there, Susie! I applaud you for having the grit to dig it out!! It certainly has been a slog for me but it seems to be paying off with much better body movement.

I have completed the 60 day program and gone through all of the Q&As as soon as they opened up and I found the video ‘Building Support and Power’ along with a few others concerning the glutes and early extension in this section very confusing as compared to Body Movement 3 as explained in the program.
    Throughtout the program you speak about pushing back and down into the glutes bringing the lumbal vertebral column (spine) from a rounded into a slightly concave position that would result in pushing the buttocks back and out by tilting the pelvis backwards, thereby decreasing the angle between spine and pelvis.
    In the before mentioned Q&A video as well as in a few other Q&A videos, you speak about pressurizing the dantiam up and in, bringing the glutes together and tucking them under which would bring the pelvis forward thereby straightening the angle between spine and pelvis. You actually show the difference between this two completely different actually opposing movements. So which one is correct?

Alexander,

I have waited to reply to your question in hope that Team Tathata would do so first while elaborating or explaining further. Their activity on the forum, as you likely know from empirical observation, is sporadic. In my opinion, the “new” information (i.e. that which has been disclosed through the Q&A videos) is correct. I have found several incongruences and have conveyed a couple of them via email. No reply there, either.

The move that seems to work best for my daughter is similar to Jack Nicklaus’s 1986 backswing. Interestingly, at the top of his backswing, the head is about the same height as it was at address or maybe a smidgen higher. From there, she drops down for the surfing motion. She still comes up out of her swing a bit into impact but so do many excellent players I have viewed on video (smashing straight drives, I might add). While this may not be ideal, I suspect my focus here may be at the expense of other aspects of the game with far greater ROI.

I hope this helps. By the way, would you mind describing any benefits you’ve experienced from the program, now that you have completed it? Also, what changes would you recommend to Bryan, since he is in the process of rolling out something new?

Having experienced a lot of disappointments with golf instruction that seemed great in the past (having read each and every golf instructional book with any reputation on the market, visited almost every acclaimed teacher on the internet and studied every swing of the greats and not so greats) and being in the middle of a long, snowy and cold winter in Austria, I did not yet have the chance to validate the effects of the program on a decent golf course or even a driving range, therefore I did hold back on any comments on the benefits of the program. Indoor trackman data look extremely encouraging so I am quite confident that I will be able to attest that this program has indeed been revolutionary. Anyway, rationale, mind set, structure, learning process and experience working through the program definetly have been eye opening so that I am looking out in front for the great things to happen.

PS:
    Best of all: I never imagined that it could be truly possible to revamp our golf game or even learn it from scratch (as a beginner)- not on a golf course, not on a driving range or practice tee, not in an indoor facility but in our own living or bedroom during hibernation, equipped with a 7 iron, Wedge and putter.

Thank you for sharing your incredible experience!!! I hope you will please report back on the greatness you experience on the course. 🙂

As another data point for me, do you mind if I ask if you have an early extension predilection when swinging a full 7 iron or driver? A good checkpoint is to see if your hands tend to come back through the address position a good big higher.

I appreciated reading your encouraging feat.

Used to have early extension (loosing the tush line coming towards ball with right hip) with every club,
    resulting in inconsistent impact (mostly thin, sometimes fat).
    Think I have lost that now because of ribs lift, glutes back (although I still do not know how exactly it should be done) and surfing to level with pressure in the dantiam.

My hands nevertheless used to return exactly to the shaft line, that because of coming too much from the inside.

Forgot: inconsistent impact and when everything broke apart some incredible hand pulls

You said, “Think I have lost that now….” I was under a similar impression, based on improved distance (with irons/wedges) and seemingly improved consistency (small data set). Unfortunately, video disproved my assumption, however.

If you have an Apple phone or tablet, CoachMyVideo is an excellent tool for swing evaluation. Combined with Apple’s slo-mo HD video, the app is mind blowing!!…can literally see what happens to the club face at and through impact. Once you’ve observed video, I would love to hear the results.

I’m even more confused after watching “building support and power in the backswing”. 1. I can’t feel my ribs raising but I can feel something when I pull by scapuli back. Is that essentially lifting the ribs? 2. The glutes being slightly back feels like a pelvic tilt motion. A concave back is one way and I think the correct way is the other direction. Is this correct?

William – I’m not sure anyone could say with certainty if your movement is correct without seeing it. You could always post a link to a YouTube video of your down-the-line and face-on swings if you want accurate feedback. With that major caveat, I’ll offer the following observations:

1) In observing my daughter, as long as she doesn’t focus on maintaining a rounded upper back, she will naturally lift her ribs as she draws back a punch. Our initial problem was not starting with the posture demonstrated in the video above. It would be great if Bryan would add a brief description of posture as a daily extra early in Ch. 1.

2) My understanding is that the glutes back should be more of a feeling of holding them together as described in the video above. This prevents them from coming to the ball, although we haven’t quite figured out the secret sauce for this trick yet. Last night I posted some comments/questions about how the back arm (especially with movements like baseball throw and ch. 4 moving energy strength building) might affect movement of the glutes and/or shoulders coming through impact. Of course, “early release” of the hands is also a contributing factor in our specific case. Here is the link to my post, which has several photo illustrations: http://legacy.tathatagolf.com/forums/topic/error-in-description-of-back-arm-at-impact/

3) With respect to your lower back, again, my understanding is that you want to avoid “concave” from setup through impact. I’ve heard Alex speak about having a ruby tucked into your bellybutton that you want to protect through impact, at which point you will thrust it out. I never understood what he meant by this until seeing Bryan’s description of how the pelvis and middle section hold pressure.

Does any of this help? Feel free to post back additional questions. This is how we all learn. Also, I’d love to hear any and all thoughts on my other post as I try to figure this stuff out.

Much appreciated!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.