Pressure versus Tension

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tathata Staff Tathata Staff 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pressure versus Tension

Hello – I am struggling a bit with concept of pressure versus tension. Historically I have struggled with tension in my shoulders and arms through impact. Prior to starting Tathata, I found that relaxing my shoulders and arms, allowing them to swing, improved my overall swing. I realize this is counter to the teachings, but pressurizing seems to be adding unwanted tension. Pressure to the extent of forcing extension in the arms makes sense and is shown in the “greatest athlete” photos, but the escalation of pressure in the swing per the lessons seems to be creating tension and stiffness. Can you provide further clarification between pressure and tension/stiffness?
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the incredible question. We have recently been asked this same question from another student, which Bryan has responded to with a video. Included below is the link to this video from Bryan talking about pressure and tension.

Student Q & A: Pressure vs. Tension

Let us know if you have any other questions, enjoy!

Hey guys, When I purchased the program, this was one question I had; Could I pressure proof my swing? Could I enter a tournament or outing and shake the negative thoughts and tension putting pressure on myself; usually ending with less than satisfactory results. I would do quite the opposite of what we are being trained here, trying and eliminate pressure and tension, I would try to feel loose and smooth.! Well I have learned through 24 days of Tathata Training that I have changed definitons of two words! I am now totally engaged throughout my swing with POSITIVE PRESSURE. I have eliminated TENSION in two dimensions: physical and mental. TENSION is NEGATIVE! I am mentally engaged with positive, confident pressure with how I carry myself to each day’s lesson (throughout the day actually!) and I now feel mentally that I OWN my swing and when I go to the range or first tee I am loaded with nothing but positive thoughts.
    I may be wrong but for me, Tension is no longer part of my game. I believe I am Tension proofing my swing by pressurizing my swing! Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and thoughts relating to tension vs. pressure. It’s great to hear where you are with the training and what you have experienced on your own with the help of the program. Once we can understand pressure and how it’s built and sustained in the swing, this is where the magic happens and where we can begin creating new outcomes that we may have thought were not possible.

Thank you for being open and willing to learning and hearing something new, we look forward to what’s ahead for you and your game!

Hi to all,
    Before my observation on grip pressure here’s a bit of my background. I played number 1 singles on a division I tennis team in the 80’s and have been coaching for almost three decades high level junior through pro satellite players. When hitting a forehand for example, my entire body is engaged from my feet to my wrist. I stopped at the wrist because I often feel my grip pressure is between a 2-5 depending on the shot. This seems to be less “pressurized” than what I’m interpreting with the hand pressure on an aggressive golf shot. Maybe when hitting a forehand in tennis I’m assuming it’s a 2-5 when it may actually be firmer. So my question is should the grip pressure at impact be more than a 5 or can it be slightly less? I’m going to experiment with this on the tennis court next week. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    This program in my opinion as a coach and student of the game in tennis phenomenal! I’m so happy I pulled the trigger and started this way of learning…
    Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your question and for reaching out. You are absolutely correct. From a martial art perspective the energy and pressure radiates out from the lower Dantian. This is essentially the mid section sometimes referred to as nature’s back brace or the connective tissues from the diaphragm to the pelvic floor. We look at this region as the most pressurized or the trunk of the tree. The energy radiates out from the trunk down in to the roots (legs) and up into the branches (arms hands fingers). Since the trunk is the most pressurized it radiates out and dissipates into the hands and feet. So essentially your assessment from tennis in relation to golf is spot on!

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.