Should I Take Time Off From Playing While Going Through The Program?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Tathata Staff Tathata Staff 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Should I Take Time Off From Playing While Going Through The Program?

I usually shoot in the mid 80’s and usually play a couple times per week, even through the winter.

Should I take time away from PLAYING while going through the Tathata program?

Would this help my body to FORGET it’s bad habits?

I have the same question and am interested in the answer!

Ditto?

Great question. We have received feedback from 60-Day users who said they have really enjoyed taking time away from the course or the range while going through the program and have experienced rapid improvement in their movements and game overall. We have also heard from individuals who are seeing just as much improvement by continuing to play as they train.

With the colder weather here and there not being many opportunities to play, students are enjoying and taking advantage of continuing to train and improve their golf game indoors away from the course.

There is no right or wrong way, it just depends on your preference and what you feel is best for your golf game. Feel free to experiment and see what you like, try training for a period of time while you continue to play and then train without playing. Maybe there is a “happy medium” where you train and play once a week.

We look forward to hearing what works best for you and the path you take.

I am in the early stages of the 60 day program and have played a few rounds of golf. In each of the rounds, I have hit more shots right that ever before with some slicing out of bounds. Should I stop playing until further into the 60 day program or just play through?

Richard,

Sorry to hear that you are hitting a few shots to the right. Some students have found it advantageous to play a bit less as they let the movements start becoming a part of their natural motion but this is by no means required. The motion that the body movements create help most people get the club in a better position in their backswing and deliver the club on a better line/angle in their downswing. One thing that you might have noticed is that the shoulders and body may be in a little different place than most are used to as you come through impact and into your follow-through.

Simply moving the body this way will tend to leave the club face a bit more open than most are used to through impact and into the follow through. When the hand and arm movements are learned, you will learn to put the club face in a place that is typically a bit more closed than most are used to in the downswing, through impact and into the follow through. The hand and arm movements through and out of impact complement the body movements through and out of impact and will help you slice the ball less.

As an extra note to help stop any slicing, while you are performing “Body Movement 7: Surf to Level” be sure that as you arrive in the finish position of the movement, your knees, hips and shoulders are all parallel to your target line and even 0-5 degrees closed to your target line. If you are right handed that would mean all of these body parts are aiming slightly right of the target. Your front knee (left knee for right-handed players) should be slightly outside of your front foot and your back (right) knee, hip and shoulder should be slightly lower to the ground than your front (left) knee, hip and shoulder. This will help to ensure you are performing this movement correctly and preparing yourself properly for the hand and arm movements upcoming.

The pressure point movement in the hands and arms that are learned in the pressure routine also should help eliminate any slicing you are experiencing.

Thanks for the time and energy you are putting into the training. Enjoy!

I have chosen to go through the 60 day program during the winter to prepare for the coming season. Had a great year last year but I think I can still make major breakthroughs in my game. I’m currently on day 16 and have tried hitting a couple balls in my makeshift garage hitting station and noticed some of the same flaws I always struggle with on during the season. I have committed to not worrying about it and having faith in the program. I am, however, learning to understand my own game much better.

This afternoon, I had an “aha moment”. Playing hockey on my friend’s yard rink, I started taking slapshots and realized how the movement, which I have done the same way my whole life, was exactly aligned with the teachings in Tathata. Hands and arms pushed down and away in the backswing, ribs fully loaded, into the glutes, surfing the knees, creating thrust down into and through impact, etc. There is no other way to do it and you can’t possibly shoot the puck hard with any excess or indirect movements.

Jonathan,

Thank you for sharing your experience and “aha moment.” Reading this makes us smile. We are glad that the training in the program may have helped shed light on what you have already been doing for years in hockey and how those motions easily translate to your golf golf. What a great feeling to truly know that these movements are in you right now, a part of your natural movement as an athlete, hockey player and golfer.

We love to hear from our students and see how they are progressing through the program. Keep us updated as you move further along the training! Let us know if there is anything you need from us.

Thank you for being a part of Tathata Golf.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.