still having trouble

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tathata Staff Tathata Staff 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • still having trouble

Love the program. As a retired boxer I understand the creation of “learned behavior.” I am still having difficulty on the snap to level and drawing knees back upon impact. Any suggestions on anyother mini exercise that I can do to create this as natural? thanks… shannon

Shannon

Thank you for the question and the analogy you make to “learned behavior” of boxing. You are smart to recognize the importance of the surf to level motion and to be sure you are performing it accurately. Here are a few check points you will want to be sure you are hitting. Most of these relate to the finish position of the movement that you can easily check to be sure you are doing this correctly. At the end of this movement:

a) Your knees, hips, shoulders and arms should be parallel to your target line / aim line. If you struggle slicing the ball, be sure these body parts are square to the target line or are all even slightly closed to the target line (0-5 degrees). If you struggle hooking the ball, be sure these body parts are square to the target line or are all even slightly open to the target line (0-5 degrees).

b) Your front knee (closest to target), hip, shoulder and hand should be slightly higher than your back knee, hip, shoulder and hand.

c) Your front knee should be slightly outside of your front foot with your front hip over your front foot.

d) Your front knee should have a bit of flex still in it and your back leg will be straighter than your front leg.

e) Be sure your upper body is still bent slightly over the ball but you have lifted your rib cage rather than concaving your rib cage to the finish of this motion.

To help the feeling of the knees pushing back through impact, although this should start at the end of the “Surf to Level” movement, it may help to feel it during the “Hug Through Impact” movement. As you hug, can you feel your back foot sliding slightly back away from the ball as you do this and add speed to the motion? Do you feel what would cause that to happen? You will also notice as your thighs turn down and body turns toward the target, the front knee will move backwards as well. This is a great movement to help train these feels.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions. Happy training!

Thank you for the help. One more question on ball position with the driver. I have reviews the videos and am either missing it or little emphasis on it… I traditionally set the ball inside my front heel. At the Same time, wouldn’t it make sense to put the ball the width of the driver in front of center? This would be more logical to a strike instead of swing up… Thoughts please?

Hi Shannon,

The ball position for your driver should be up off of the front heel but no further forward. We wouldn’t want it any further back than the front ear as we want to provide room to surf down and toward the target in the downswing. If ball position gets too far back, it can be difficult to execute this part of the motion. Let us know what ball position you find to work best with the driver.

Thanks Shannon.

thank you….

I’m having some trouble with slicing my longer clubs, especially my fairway woods and driver. I feel like when I drive my hips back and to the left as I come to impact, I’m putting myself in a position where I have to cut across the ball. Do you have any advice on how to correct this?

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the question. I have included two forum links below of other students asking this similar question. We have provided a response to each to help answer their questions that may also help you. Let us know if you have any additional questions after seeing these Q & A’s.

Driver trouble

Driver trajectory

Thanks Scott!

Ed

The surfing to level is something that was a flaw in my game for many many years. I believe I referred to it as transition. That said, while I’m getting better at it, its still a very conscious thought to do so. I am now understanding all aspects of the swing, and I’ve been able to access accurately now how my swing functioned prior, which was lacking the pressure, and always a rushed hard swing from the top. Now what I’m finding, is that when if I “feel” just a second of patience, and feel I’m to my front side, the power comes with out any physical added effort. Contact is solid, and I’m taking divots for the first time ever. I do want to be able to move away from as Bryan describes, the hitting ball after ball (from the deeper discussion on Practice), that its “not real”, but in order to actually play a shot on the course, there has to be a reasonable thought that yes, I got this, and I know I can repeat it.

Thank you Ed for your thoughts here, this makes us smile! It’s great to hear you are coming to understand your own swing and misses to be able to assess and correct them on your own.

Greatness, continue to sense the moments/shots/rounds ahead being better than they’ve ever been.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.