Alignment

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Lee Lee 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Alignment
    Lee
    Lee

I’ve always had an issue with alignment in that my natural eye sees my set-up right of target, I guess in golf parlance closed for a draw shot, except wedges where I would be open in fact I suspect I vary it a lot including Chipping and putting!! Taking Tathata to the course I am mindful to align myself from the ground up in sequence, feet, knees & hips first. But I’ve noticed a flaw. My shoulders do not naturally align to target, they are in fact naturally closed to the hips slightly and I suspect more aligned to my feet. I used to put my club across the line of my shoulders which seemed ok to me, but i didnt do the same with my hips. Now I can clearly sense the misalignment and so I gently push my left shoulder into alignment, square with my hips. It feels odd, well most of my new set up is feeling odd this early into the Program, but the results are already showing. I got round the course yesterday without loosing a ball and shot a net 71!!

Doespecially the Program cover alignment in more detail in any Chapters? I guess the stretching routines are also going to help me align correctly.

Thanks
    Lee day-10 16.5

Lee
    Lee

Seems I can’t edit my post. The question I’m asking at the end begins; Does the Program …..

PS I nned to crop my photo better I’m not that shy 😉
    Thanks
    Lee

Hi Lee, I’m on day 38 and don’t recall seeing anything specific about alignment. I have also struggled in the past with aiming right or setting up closed to the target. (I’m a right hander.)

I think the generic advice of most teachers is still good. Stand behind the ball looking down the target line, pick a point a few feet in front of the ball and focus on it (rather than the target) whilst stepping into the address position. During this process it’s very easy for your eyes to drift off the point you have picked and slide TO THE RIGHT. So it’s important to focus hard on your selected spot. Set the club face square to that spot/target line and then align yourself to the club face.

I think the Tathata set up with the left foot being drawn back has helped me because I know my feet are effectively aiming right and that makes me concentrate on keeping the rest of my body square to the target line. Re your ability to keep the whole body square, I’d think about standing naturally in a none golf scenario, maybe talking to a neibour over the garden fence. You would never find yourself twisted unnaturally. From that relaxed position with your club in hand simply practice stepping into your Tathata set up, centred, balanced etc then drawing back your right foot whilst keeping your body square.

Maybe Tathata staff will pitch in with something better but hopefully my advice will help in the meantime.

Lee
    Lee

Thanks Stephen

I’m the same with using something a foot in front or a foot behind the ball to manage my take away path or my exit path. I also visualise rugby (American football) posts I am aiming at. Close my eyes see the objective or target in my mind before I hit my shot.

Setup for the draw naturally, my swing has a mind of its own and compensates and goes straight down the line slightly out to in and I hit a cut. Just to add this is with the big dog. But happens with the longer clubs too.

It just struck me that the left shoulder at address seems important for me to be more aware of.

I’ve enjoyed some martial art before and tai chi and played a lot of golf and squash all in my younger days, teens and 20’s then and 50 now only recently returning to golf. All of these have components of good alignment and good posture and good stance. In fact many aspects of Tathata. I might jump back on the squash court and practice hitting up and down the wall with Tathata in mind and my left shoulder in mind and good alignment thoughts. I find out of context practice really helpful.

I Appreciate your thoughts thanks for sharing.

Lee Day-11 hc 16.5 goal this year to shoot under 80

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.